Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Blog Post 10

An Open Letter To Educators
Morgan Bayda does a great job of showing and explaining the video posted by Dan Brown. In his video, he explains why he dropped out of school. His reason was that “school is interfering with my education”. This didn’t make sense until I heard exactly what he was talking about. He talks about sitting in a lecture for two hours writing as quickly as you can while your professor flips through slides and allows you to talk to no one except the professor s themselves. I can relate to this in that most of my classes are this exact way. The teachers believe they are educating us by telling us to take notes about facts, learn them, and we will be tested. This is not educating us and will not help us in the real world. After I’ve taken my notes, memorized them, and was tested on them I have already forgotten what I memorized and in actuality nothing was learned. I can relate to Morgan Bayda in the way that all of her classes allowed no talking and discussing the “facts” with other students. Comparing that to this EDM 310 class, it is almost polar opposite. In this class we are encouraged to talk to other classmates and discuss our assignments, leave comments, and help each other out. This seems the same as the Ed computer classes Morgan Bayda took herself. Overall, I thought this post and video were well thought out and I completely agree with them.

Two Questions That Can Change Your Life
I liked this video a lot and I think those two questions can actually change my life. My sentence is “They are the reason I am furthering my education”. I really liked this video and I can now ask myself the second question every night of “Was I better today than yesterday?” My answer to this question will hopefully keep me motivated to continue my education and in the future help students to become educated. Maybe I can be the reason a student wants to further their education. Great things to think about.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Kristen!
    Dan Brown was right about what he was saying. Many times when I desire to read or learn about something, I have to put it on hold because I have to do "schoolwork." As a substitute teacher, I see how students are often given busy-work just to keep them quiet. Then I feel pressured to keep the students quiet and make sure they are completing their 11-page handout. I often have to suppress urges to not have them do the assignment. I will never be called back to sub again if I don't make the students do their "work."

    I like your sentence. As teachers, we have to abandon self-centered beliefs that our education is about us. It is not about us, but them, the students.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kristen,

    You have a great sentence. I think that would motivate anyone to do their best.

    Stephen Akins

    ReplyDelete